Baked Applesauce Donuts
for the Bread Machine
- 1/6 cup warm water
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/6 cup applesauce (we used plain, but any type would do)
- 1 beaten egg
- 1/4 cup unsalted, butter - cubed
- 2 1/4 cups of flour (we used all purpose flour)
- 1/8 cup of sugar
- 1 teaspoon sPalt
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg (it sounds like a lot, but trust me, it's right)
- 1 package of active dry yeast
- an additional 1/2 cup of melted butter
- 1 cup of sugar combined with 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
1. Pour the first five ingredients into the bread maker.
2. Top them with the flour, sugar, salt, nutmeg, and lastly the yeast.
3. Set the bread maker to the dough setting, and let it run until well mixed.
4. Lift the lid on the machine while it's still running and slowly add another 1-1/2 cups of flour to thicken the dough. Close the lid and let it run until finished.
5. Pat the dough out into a circle, about 3/4 of an inch thick.
6. Cut into donut shapes with a donut cutter, or two round cookie cutters.
7. Place onto greased cookie sheets (we put the donuts on one sheet, and the holes on another), cover with a clean towel, and let rise for 40 minutes to an hour.
8. Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 minutes, until they begin to look golden - do not over bake!
9. Toss them immediately into the melted butter with a couple of forks, and then into the sugar, and cinnamon mixture.
10. Serve and enjoy! If you keep them overnight, treat them like muffins, and cover them loosely. If you wrap them up in plastic, they might get gooey.