Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Flash Cards for MFW Kindergarten (Part 2)

Funny how things have a way of working themselves out. Had I read ahead in our curriculum, there would not have been a need for my last post and wondering about making flash cards.  Here's the deal.

Today, Katie read her first short story - from the Kindergarten curriculum. How exciting!!! The part I wish I had read ahead is the suggestion in the TM to make flash cards (Ha!) ahead of time with all the words appearing in the story so that your child becomes familiar with them before she starts to read. Well there you go!  If any of you were wondering the same thing, there's your answer. The stories begin in WEEK 15, so prepare yourself. Please don't follow in my footsteps that lead down the road of uncertainty and poor planning!  Read ahead and make the flash cards 2-3 (or more) weeks ahead so that your child can start practicing.  Thankfully, Katie did fine.  I'm so proud of her!  However, I am working on making flash cards for all future stories so that we'll have them ready.  I'm thinking about turning them into ring cards or getting an index card binder for them so that we can easily transport them for use in the car or wherever we might have an opportunity to pull them out.  And I'm trying to decide if I should color-code the cards for each story to help me keep them organized better.

1 comment:

  1. Love the flashcards and the little case. We're almost there so this is great to know. :)

    ReplyDelete