Sunday, February 5, 2012

Weekly Wrap-Up: The Fall of Rome

This has certainly been a roller coaster ride, historically speaking.  I've raved about, complained about, praised, and doubted our history lessons this year.  I have truly had a bi-polar experience with them.  But something of a miracle happened this week that helped me to appreciate them.  I started a new Bible study.

The Book of James is what I'm studying with a group of women.  Thanks to our Bible & History lessons in Rome to Reformation, I have a better understanding of my Bible study lessons.  It's almost as if homeschooling is more for me than for the kids!  This has happened so many times now that I can't ignore it.  It cannot go unsaid, or in this case, unwritten.  I love the way God inter-mingles different areas in our lives!  Other than Bible lessons in My Father's World, I have not been deep in the Word since before Christmas.  In-depth Bible study and prayer is critical.  Sometimes, I forget that our success in school radically depends on my relationship with God.  So, I am very thankful for starting this new Bible study.

Coming to the Fall of Rome brings a period of history to a close and allows me to glance back at all that we have learned.  I feel accomplished.  Are there things I would do differently?  Of course.  Isn't there always?  All in all, it's been a good ride.

We celebrated this week with a Roman Feast.  I'll let the pictures do the talking...










The kids were Roman slaves and were delighted to serve us grape juice, chicken, fruit & veggies, crackers & cheese, and nuts.  My parents joined us for the feast and we sat in Roman fashion around the table while we ate and listened to the kids tell us all about Ancient Rome.  We had a table that displayed Roman books, projects, and Emily's history notebook.  I'm so glad we didn't skip this.  It was so much fun!


Linked up to Weekly Wrap-Up

No comments:

Post a Comment