Wednesday, August 18, 2010

School Room Week

Ok, I'm a little behind, but still wanted to share our space.  Bare with me!

This is our classroom, our office, our library.  A lot happens in this room.  And I have to admit that this picture was taken last year.  Sorry!  It looks pretty much the same except there might be a different piece of artwork hanging somewhere. :)

The two desks are really just tables that we placed back to back between the windows, giving each child plenty of work space.  They wipe easily, so most of our art projects are done here.  The two windows usually let in ample natural light, but if the sun decides to hide one day, we have a nice bright lamp with task lighting right in the middle.  The bathroom is just across the hall, so clean-up is easy.


Below:  My desk is on the right and the drawer unit just to its left is perfect for all kinds of things.  We have drawers for office supplies (tape, stapler, notepads, sticky notes, rulers, calculators...), teaching aids (flash cards, game cards, bananagrams, chalk, reward stickers/tickets, magnifying glasses...), camera cords & accessories (my favorite drawer!), notebooks, coloring pages, misc. papers, and more.  It helps keep me somewhat organized.

Then, we have the corner bookshelves which house all of our curriculum, CD's, binders, Bible studies, readers, games, and more.  They get lots of use!  I'm so thankful they are nice and sturdy, or all that stuff would come tumbling down!


The top of the lower shelf on the left is used for my supplies and my teaching binder.  The top row of the shelf has four cubbies with a basket in each one that pull out easily.  Each child has a basket for her library books, there is a basket for library returns that we just grab & go, and one basket for misc. books.  These have been great for keeping our library books organized.  I'm proud to say that we didn't lose a single book last year!  :)

The cubbies on the bottom hold a variety of things:  a math manipulatives box, extra paper & books, a money box (also for math) & more books, and a box that has misc. stuff in it that probably needs cleaned out!

It's not fair to show you just one room because our "schooling" really happens all over the house and beyond.  But, I'll save the rest for another time. :)

9 comments:

  1. I love your shelves and how much natural light you have. Our room gets pretty dark and we keep saying we need to buy better lighting. Soon, I hope. I'm missed the schoolroom deadline too but I'm still going to post ours. I'm glad you did :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am super jealous of all your shelves and cubbies. :) Oh, how I wish I had some.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found this post on your side bar...LOVE LOVE LOVE THE BOOKSHELVES...I need more! Also the light from those windows is fab!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Following you from WUH. I love your room! The bookshelves are awesome! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your bookshelves...I have an assortment of bookshelves tucked into a tiny extra room my hubby added outside the house - but really no wall space in my living room / school room to put more than one!! I love their height - mine are rather short - I could always use more bookshelves!! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice! Love the bookshelves. =o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my, that corner shelf is fabulous. How did I not see that one? LOL Wonderful space!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've enjoyed seeing your school room! Thanks for sharing the link!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, found you from fb mfw:) Thanks for sharing...I like how you put the lamp in between the tables - there seems to never be enough light at my house:)!

    ReplyDelete