Saturday, May 25, 2013

Hello Summer!

Our formal school year is officially over.  Overall, we had a great year, and for the first time ever, we finished before June!


We finished strong, learning about the California Gold Rush in 1849.  Just a few days before studying it, I stumbled upon these little bags of "gold" at the store and couldn't resist buying them.

 
These chewing gum nuggets unexpectedly furthered our lesson.  Since gold is so strong and can be hammered flat, I used these nuggets as an object lesson about gold.  We all put some in our mouths and took note about how the "gold" didn't break apart, rather it flattened out.  Pretty cool, huh?
 
The girls got to paint on canvas on our last day.  Katie painted a tree (haven't taken a picture of hers yet), and Emily painted a hedgehog.  They both turned out very cute.
 

 
 
 
Emily made homemade chocolate chip muffins to celebrate our last day.  Very yummy!
 


 

Our last day was on Thursday, so we had Fun Day Friday and went to Kings Island.  It was a beautiful day!



Friday night, the girls were doing simple experiments on their own.  They made a mixture with vinegar to clean pennies, and put Ivory soap in the microwave to see it expand.  Katie even explained to me how it happens.  After they pulled the soap out, they crumbled it into a bowl, and now it's ready for me to use with my homemade laundry detergent.  Bonus for me! :)



We will be doing some math and language arts over the summer.  I say this every year and we've never met my goals.  But, after all these years of spending too much time in the fall reviewing, I'm going to work harder at sticking with my plan this summer.

My plan is to start My Father's World 1850 to Modern Times some time in August.  We are making some changes in math and language arts but I haven't nailed them down just yet.  I'm leaning heavily towards using Teaching Textbooks for math.  We've always used RightStart, and I still love the program.  But, it's teacher intense.  Need I say more?  I might also add Life of Fred as a supplement.

I plan to use some materials from Queen Homeschool Supplies for language arts.  I'm pretty sure we'll use the vocabulary, and maybe some copywork.  But, I haven't nailed that down yet either.

For now, we are all looking forward to summer and the warm weather it brings!



Linked up with Weekly Wrap-Up

2 comments:

  1. Yay for school being over!! :)
    We just got home from the Annual Home School Convention in Orlando and I am already excited to start next year! :)
    I will also be doing 1850 to Modern Times with my to-be-7th grader. I talked to the vendor at the MFW booth and they strongly recommend that I start my son, who will be in 9th grade, on the first of the 4 high school kits. So this will be the first year my kids don't do history together. Not sure how that will go, but the high school kits lean more on the student to do themselves.
    We also use Teaching Textbooks and love it! :)
    Have a great summer!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I’m so nervous about high school and we aren’t even there yet! I’ll be following you to see how it’s going. :) My oldest (age 12) is not studious at all. She much prefers bouncing around outside and playing around inside over school work! I pray for God to help her along. 

      I’ve been looking for a deal on Teaching Textbooks. I know it must be good because they really hold some value!

      Hope you enjoy your summer too!

      Delete